Pages

Saturday, December 03, 2011

Upgrading my Canon EOS

Salam and hi to all,

After using my first DSLR camera (Canon EOS 500D) for awhile, I realized that I needed more. Thankfully enough, at that time, I had enough money stashed away for an upgrade project. The game was set. The research was given a 'go'.

Countless hours and 'almost' sleepless nights had gone through searching and reading from reviews and forums for the right DSLR camera replacing my not-that-old-yet-trusted Canon EOS 500D. The old camera had opened my eyes to the expanding and evolving world of digital creative photography. Adding a new one, would only hoped to further this still-freshly-found motivation and interest.

Coming from 3 digit Canon EOS (ie the '500' in EOS 500D), many had said that it was a logical step to get better hardware among the 2 and 1 digit Canon EOS cameras. The specifications and prices of said cameras would then be the deciding factors. The one digit Canon EOS camera can set me back around RM5500 and more (body only) plus a few more thousands for the lens. The one camera  I started to have great interest in was Canon EOS 7D. 


In-depth review of Canon EOS 7D can be found here.

It was introduced a few years back in late 2009. The hardware specifications are fantastic with 2 integrated DIGIC 4 image processor and a full frame coverage photo shots through the viewfinder while the ISO level can reach up to 12800. It is a 18 mega-pixel shooter covered in sturdy magnesium body signifying its status as a semi-professional level among Canon EOS camera line-up.

However it was just too costly to me. I was stricken by it. I knew if I waited a bit more and perhaps save some more money, I could get my hand on one unit of that camera and called it my own. On the other hand, I found that there was another Canon EOS camera revealed fairly recent (late 2010) which has an articulated screen. The camera specification was tuned akin to the Canon EOS 7D. It was a Canon EOS 60D.







In-depth review of this camera can be found here.

After reading more about this fairly new camera, I felt that this was the camera for me. The articulated 3.0 inch screen is invaluable in many photo shoot situation. Many has praised its inclusion with this camera stating extending its value to be a more multi-angle shooter. Although Canon has placed this camera for serious enthusiasts category, it's specifications are slightly in-favour of replacing a quite old semi-pro level Canon EOS camera, which was Canon EOS 50D.

EOS 60D is a 18 mega-pixel shooter with a single DIGIC 4 image processor and able to record 1080p video out-of-the-box. However it is not a full-frame coverage photo shots through the viewfinder. It is cropped at 95% coverage. Meaning, the result photo will be cropped about 5% at all sides from what you see in viewfinder.

Thus, with large sum of money in my hand and a peace of mind (knowing I had made up my mind) I went to Boeing Photo Sdn Bhd (located inside the Mines Shopping Centre in Seri Kembangan) and purchased the camera. I 'almost' jumped with joy knowing that they had the unit I wanted with kit lens 2 (EF-S18-135mm IS). When arrived home, I went into the internet and had the camera registered with Canon Malaysia Online Registration. 

My road to further discovery in the world of digital creative photography had just been paved with solid assurance. A few accessories were needed to complete my photo-taking experience. I will write more on this later. 

Till next time. Wassalam and good bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment